Tips and Tricks to Establishing Online Learning Routines
What’s your morning routine? Do you allow your kids to stay in their pajamas, or do you make an effort to have them get dressed as part of getting ready for the online school day? PJs or not, one key to helping your student succeed in an online learning environment is establishing routines.
Here are a few strategies that experienced Learning Coaches have used to create manageable routines for their online school days:
- Set a schedule—and stick to it. One major benefit of online schools is that your child can learn anywhere, anytime; however, he or she still needs routine and structure to succeed. Designate certain times as learning times, and make sure your student is productive during those times. If you notice that your student treats schoolwork with more of a laid-back attitude when staying in his or her pajamas, consider a PJ day as an occasional reward.
- Don’t confine learning to a desk. Because online schools allow your child to learn anywhere, take advantage of this! If you spend lots of time in the car driving your children to extracurricular activities, designate that time as learning time. If your child loves visiting the local library, have him or her bring a few lessons along to complete there. Heading to a grandparent’s house for the weekend? Spend the ride doing multiplication tables, spelling drills, trivia challenges, and other activities.
- Give everything a place. When you have the option to learn anywhere, your supplies can end up everywhere. One way to tackle this problem is by having designated storage bins for each subject. When your child works on that subject, he or she takes what’s needed from that specific bin, and then returns it when assignments are complete. This should become part of the daily routine, as it will help your student stay organized.
- Remember to schedule mealtimes. These can really eat up a lot of time during the day if they aren’t planned well. One great idea for lunch is to give your online learners “recess” time beforehand. That will provide them a chance to burn off some energy while you put the meal together, and afterwards they can feel refreshed and get back to work.
- Schedule a day in advance. Make sure every day is scheduled the night before or earlier, so your child knows exactly what he or she will be working on ahead of time. Prioritization is key for online learning success, especially when students are young or easily distracted.
Are PJs part of your student’s daily attire, or do you feel that getting dressed makes a difference in his or her performance during school hours? Let us know what daily school routines work for your family!