Sweeten up that Four Letter Word: MATH
Does the thought of doing a math lesson send chills down your spine? Or do you love math so much you look for free math lessons online just for the fun of it?
No matter what your learning style, there is one quick way to sweeten up a math lesson in a hurry – CANDY!
Candy can help make numbers jump off the page. Throughout the year, you can buy candy in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes (watch for them to go on sale). Put some in a bag in the back of the freezer and bring it out to spice up a lesson.
- Learning to count
- Lessons dealing with addition & subtraction
- Reinforcing place value
- Exploring fractions
- When a lesson suggests using a math counter (such as beans or beads)
- Plotting points on a number line or graph
- Have your student tell you a math story (“Dan has 8 pieces of candy. He wants 10. How many more…”)
- Practice measuring lengths
We would love to have you share your favorite candy math stories here. There’s nothing like sharing sweet success with friends.