Our 20 Most Shared Virtual School Resources of 2013
In 2013, our Virtual Learning Connections community was busier than ever, with more of you sharing blog posts and resources across your favorite social media networks. Behind the scenes, we worked hard to bring you more of the information you “liked” best—more expert posts from our teachers and your fellow Learning Coaches, instructographics to illustrate helpful facts and activities in an engaging way, and practical tips on learning in an online environment.
As we begin 2014, we want to thank all of our readers for joining the conversations about considering, learning, and growing in a virtual school. So, we’ve put together a list of your favorite virtual school resources of 2013.
Once you’ve revisited the best of 2013, please make sure to leave a comment and let us know what you’d like to read more about here in 2014!
Top 5 Facebook Shares—Follow Us on Facebook
Facebook was your go-to destination for sharing practical tips about online schooling—from setting schedules to motivating students. Perhaps that’s why Connections Academy now has over 19,000 Facebook likes!
- 4 Sample Daily Schedules for Virtual School Families
- 10 Questions about Going Back to Virtual School
- 8 Top Tips for Student Success in Online School
- 9 Steps to Inspire Student Motivation
- Making a Virtual School Family Planner Part 4: Daily Schedule and School Planner Template
Top 5 Twitter Shares—Follow Us on Twitter
Our more than 19,000 Twitter followers favored tweeting about virtual schooling in general, and sharing our posts about the myths, trends, and practicalities of online learning. Of the tweeted posts, one featuring our high school English teacher’s music video (“Call Me [Maybe],” below) certainly got the most enthusiastic responses—“AWESOME,” “LOVE IT!” and “WOW!”
- 5 Myths about Virtual Schools
- Our Ask a Grad feature was a popular way for you to contact some of our grads after our Twitter chats.
- Physical Education in Virtual School: How Does That Work?
- Infographic: K–12 Online Learning Growth by the Numbers
- Call Me (Maybe): Teacher Support for Virtual School Families
Top 5 Pinterest Shares—Follow Us on Pinterest
Not surprisingly, Pinterest was a popular place for sharing “how-to” activities or any post with a cool graphics element. As we introduced more instructographics this year, we were delighted to find that they were among your most frequently shared posts.
- Create Crystals in this Egg Geode Experiment
- Ways to Inspire Students with Positive Quotes
- The ABCs of Challenging Gifted and Talented Kids
- Experiment with Musical Water Glasses
- Understanding Your Student’s Learning Style: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences
Top 5 Google+ Shares—Follow Us on Google+
On Google+, posts about choosing or transferring to an online school led the way:
- Why Families Choose Online School
- 5 Tips for Transferring to a Virtual School Midyear
- 5 Reasons Why Homeschool Families Switch to Online School
- The Three R’s of Being a Virtual School Learning Coach
- How to Prepare for State Test Taking
We are looking forward to “liking,” “sharing,“ “pinning,’ “tweeting,” “plussing,” and—most importantly—learning even more with you in 2014.