Festive Fourth of July Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Celebrate our country’s independence with a special sweet treat which children of all ages are sure to love! Festive ice cream cone cupcakes decorated with red, white, and blue icing make a great dessert for a holiday cookout. Kids will love how easy they are to carry around—while parents appreciate not having to clean up plates and forks! Plus, as your family participates in fun Fourth of July activities, you can burn off the extra calories!
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes Recipe
- 24 flat-bottom ice cream cones
- Cake mix of choice, plus ingredients to prepare
- Store-bought icing (red, white, blue) or
- Homemade icing
- 1 32 oz. bag of powdered sugar
- 2 sticks of butter (not margarine)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract (or any flavor extract)
- Blue and red food coloring
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 24 rolled wafer biscuits
- Cupcake tin
- Decorating bags
- Optional: Colored sugar or sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Place ice cream cones in cupcake tin with the opening facing upward.
- Fill cones ¾ full with cake mix.
- Place in oven. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (or according to mix directions).
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing.
While cupcakes are baking, make the icing:
- Put 2 sticks of butter in a mixer.
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or whatever flavor you choose).
- Mix while slowly adding sugar to the butter until you have a consistency that is smooth yet a little stiff.
- To make red and blue icing, divide your mix into three separate bowls. Add blue food coloring to one bowl of icing and add red to a second bowl until the desired shade is achieved. Leave the icing in the third bowl white. (Note: It is not easy to get a true red or blue color with food dye, so you may want to purchase colored icing at your local grocery store.)
- Spoon each color of icing into a separate cupcake decorating bag. If you don’t have decorating bags, you could use a large sandwich bag and cut a small triangle off of one bottom corner.
- To decorate cupcakes, gently squeeze the bag as you move around the cupcake in a circular motion. Repeat with additional colors, making each layer smaller than the previous one.
- Top with maraschino cherries and rolled wafers. If desired, add colored sugar or sprinkles for an extra splash of holiday color!
This recipe yields two dozen ice cream cone cupcakes that are sure to delight your friends and family. Enjoy your festive treats, and have a wonderful, safe holiday!