Create an Edible Heart Model for American Heart Month
Nutrition has a big impact on heart health. A few of the things the American Heart Association recommends for lowering your risk of heart disease are to eat better, control your cholesterol, and reduce your blood sugar. So, finish off February, American Heart Month, by doing something good for your heart. You can start by creating an edible heart model using beneficial ingredients such as fruit and yogurt.
The types of heart-healthy fruit you can use in this activity include blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries, which:
- Promote circulation by widening arteries (anthocyanins)
- Remove damaging free radicals and strengthening blood vessels (antioxidants)
- Reduce the risk of heart disease (polyphenols)
- Lower cholesterol (fiber)
Yogurt is also great for the heart. It has been shown to reduce plaque buildup in the carotid arteries which supply blood to the brain.
Once you’ve assembled these ingredients, it’s time to get started! Click on the graphic below for step-by-step instructions on how to create your own edible heart model.
- The system of blood vessels in your body is over 60,000 miles long, which means that it could wrap around the world twice!
- Blood circulates throughout your whole body in 20 seconds.
- The energy produced by the heart in an average day could power a truck for 20 miles.
- Ancient Greeks believed that the heart was the body’s source of heat.
- Ancient Egyptians thought that the heart and other organs could move around inside the body.
- Laughing increases the blood flow throughout your body, making it good for your heart.
- The best way to keep your heart healthy is to exercise regularly.